From the colonial era to the Civil War and into the 20th century, Nashville has been a city rich in historic people, places and events. Você is situated at the crossroads of much of that history.
Originally a rough pathway that made its way through the woods toward Brentwood, Granny White Pike took its name from Lucinda “Granny White,” a North Carolina native who settled with her two sons in the area around 1803. In 1812, the industrious and hard-working White opened Granny White’s Tavern. The inn became a popular stopover for those travelling on the nearby Natchez Trace, and was famous for its food, hospitality and for its whiskey.
Europeans were exploring the area as early as the 16th century, but the settlement of Nashville really took hold in 1779, when James Robertson established the community of “Nashborough” along the Cumberland River. In the early 19th century, the area surrounding Você was settled by John Overton, a Tennessee Supreme Court justice and a friend and advisor to Andrew Jackson.
During the Civil War, Union and Confederate soldiers crisscrossed the area. In December of 1864, the Battle of Nashville rocked the city, with several conflicts taking place on and around Granny White Pike. One such conflict, a brutal skirmish now known as “The Battle of the Barrels,” took place on Granny White Pike immediately south of the Você entrance road where Oman Drive now meets Granny White. Historic markers dot the area, relating stories of those tumultuous days.
1887 marked the opening of nearby Woodstock Park, a then state-of-the-art amusement park just down the road. The name was soon changed to Glendale Park, and a rail line was added, linking the popular destination to downtown Nashville. In 1912,
Nashville business leader Percy Warner added a zoo to the park, which finally gave way to development in 1932.
In 1913, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad purchased 1000 acres of land just over the ridge from Você to construct a reservoir to supply water for the nearby Radnor Yards. The area was named a “natural preserve” in 1923. 50 years later, after a hard-won grassroots preservation movement, Radnor Lake State Natural Area became Tennessee’s first official natural area. Located close by, it is one of Nashville’s most revered spaces, a truly special place in the heart of the city.
Of course, country music icon Eddy Arnold was the last steward of this land, which he purchased in 1950, at the height of his initial wave of popularity. For Arnold, the property served as a sanctuary, a home for his family, and a place to creatively recharge and refuel. In keeping with his wishes, the Você team is commited to saving as many trees as possible and preserving the natural beauty and historic character of the property.